As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Silicone is one of the most versatile materials you can find in today’s market. It is used for making all kinds of things that people use everyday.
Among these are kitchen utensils, bathroom accessories, inflatable toys and even baby bottles.
However, when we use them for food items can they melt?
Let’s find out this in today’s post…
Can I Melt Silicone?
Silicone is a unique substance, known for its flexibility, durability and resistance to extreme temperatures.
The answer is yes but it’s pretty hard to do so. However, you can only do so in two specific conditions:
- Temperature of the silicone must be above the melting point (around 425 degrees Fahrenheit).
- You need to combine it with another substance that will act as a catalyst in order to raise the temperature of the silicone enough for it to melt. For example, molten aluminum, which has a very high heat capacity, will aid in raising the temperature of silicone when both are combined together in an enclosed space. When metal
So if your question was retarding cooking than no you can’t get it melted during cooking of any kind but you can when your focus is only to melt it done no matter what.
3 Best Silicone Products To Consider
- The Silicone Kitchen Silicone Oven Baking Mats
- The Silicone Kitchen Reusable Silicone Baking Cups – Non-Toxic
- Mibote 17 Pcs Silicone Cooking Kitchen Utensils Set with Holder
1) Extremely High Temperature Is Required
Silicone is a material that has many applications in the medical, consumer, and industrial fields. It is also used for making children’s toys, kitchenware, and automotive parts. Silicone is flexible and durable while at the same time being heat resistant.
While silicone can withstand temperatures up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit (232 Celsius), it will begin to melt at 1414 degrees Celcius. This makes it perfect for using in appliances that are exposed to high temperatures on a regular basis like microwave oven.
If subjected to extremely high temperatures, silicone will melt into liquid form or be destroyed by the heat altogether.
2) Only Using Silicone For Cooking? No Problem Then…
While cooking food, if you use silicone utensils than there is no chance of melting the utensil because it has high resistance to heat.
The reason for this is that silicone will melt at very high temperatures. It’s chemically stable and won’t degrade when exposed to harsh conditions like extreme heat.
It’s very unlikely that you put silicone right on to the fire. Silicone can only melt when you want it to be melted by a blazing fire. While cooking, you can’t go wrong with the silicone utensils and that’s the reason you see a lot of the people swear by it and love using it on day to day basis.